Sunday, August 4, 2019

Friendship



As a toddler I used this word more than occasionally - I’m your friend na, so  share your colour pencils with me” or only I did. ( I was extremely fond of stationary) 
But what does it actually mean? Someone who helps you when you’re in trouble.
But the watchman always helps me when I can’t parallel park, so does he also become my friend?
Or someone you can laugh with?  Well that means my phone is my best friend, cause I cant stop ROFLing reading Memes. 
Or someone you can cry with? 
Well I cried so much with my cat when I used to have a hard time at work.

The truth is everyone is your friend and play different kinds of roles in your life. 
Whether it’s your creepy bench-mate, your watchman or your cat!
The Great Charles Darwin also taught us, evolution was possible by kinship. 
We all, as humans need social support. We are Social Animals who need one another, whether it’s hunting or food gathering or now helping someone parallel park.
 Friends are not only limited to who are your age similar background. There is friendship in every individual regardless of their role, size, race, occupation and gender.
We play different roles, support eachother as friends - parents who play with their child, classmates who study together sharing notes, teachers who would encourage a student in times of failure, roommates who you share your beers with, neighbours who you would share your Sunday meals with, your tapri wala who you go regularly to, your liftman who you complain about other tenants with, your house keeper who you gossip about Salman Khan movies with,your love partner who you share all your vulnerabilities with, your work colleague who you share a desk with, your boss- who criticises you for your mistakes and the list goes on.
If we start treating each and everyone around us as friends, you’ll never hesitate to help one another, you will support everyone around, criticisms will be taken positively, no one will ever feel lonely. 
Therefore, listen to your neighbour rant,  a good morning with a smile to your watchman can make his day, ask your house keeper how is her child, pour your heart out to your pet even if it feels ridiculous, take your parents out for dinner on a Friday night,  talk about how the local trains are always late waiting for one at the station or hear them rant about it, bitch about your boss to your tapri wala, tell “your boss you look pretty today, or that colour doesn’t suit you as much as the other ”.
A genuine conversation makes us feel supported, heard and important.
Cases of Suicide, Depression, Anxiety, Domestic violence, Substance abuse, bullying, and the list continues can be prevented if we treat each other as friends not objects.
We will take responsibility of being kind, non-judgemental, empathetic to one another.
You will not hear anyone say “I have no-one ” cause look around- the whole world is your
Friend.


Happy friendship day!

1 comment: